About the Position
Software Infrastructure Engineers (SIEs) focus on constantly improving the tools that keep our product (and our coworkers) running smoothly. Working either directly on a product team or alongside other SIEs on a core infrastructure team, they leverage a variety of technologies to ensure software quality and high velocity. Between maximizing product uptime and minimizing developer lag, SIEs contribute to every stage of our software cycle.
The focus of SIEs is to make the development, deployment, and delivery of software as smooth as possible for all involved. It is arguably the most diverse engineering role at APT. Examples of challenges include:
- Build a dev/test deployment infrastructure that comfortably deals with extensive use of branching
- Automate the provisioning of hundreds of servers down to the click of a button
- Give developers hours back in their day by optimizing build times and runtime performance
- Building monitoring systems that spot issues as soon as possible, with minimal configuration requirements for each new server or app introduced
SIEs are expected to be experts across multiple areas and play a key role bridging the gap between Dev and Ops (DevOps). SIEs can speak front-end code and server recipe cookbooks equally well and are able to see the complete picture as new systems are designed and implemented. SIEs become experts in the world of continuous software delivery and integration. They are the first line of defense when diagnosing or spotting tricky performance issues, and they play a key role in shaping the direction of APT's engineering processes.
What does this mean for you?
- Make a real impact – the entire development team relies heavily on the systems you build and support
- Gain invaluable experience understanding the underpinnings for one of the world's largest cloud-based analytical software providers
- Continuously learn a wide array of new technologies
- Receive committed mentoring and training by an experienced leadership team
- Have an immediate opportunity for increased responsibility, leadership, and personal growth
Ideal Candidate Qualifications
- Outstanding programming skills
- Highly motivated and thrives in small, open-ended project teams
- Passion for automation, software quality, and cutting edge technology
- Superior academic record at a leading national university